ASDAH Guidelines for Health at Every Size® and HAES® Usage
These guidelines have been prepared to inform you of the proper use of the trademark(s), including without limitation service marks, which are the property of the Association for Size Diversity and Health (ASDAH). A trademark has been granted to ASDAH for Health At Every Size® and HAES® services and materials.
A trademark is both a symbol of the trademark owner’s high standards and an assurance of the consistent quality of the product or service being offered under the mark. As long as you are in compliance with these guidelines, you may use ASDAH’s trademark(s) with the express understanding that you will maintain ASDAH’s high standards and quality. It is important to note that rights may be lost not only because of a trademark owner’s improper use of the mark, but through improper use of the trademark by the public.
Trademarks are valuable intellectual property, and protecting ASDAH’s trademark(s) will be beneficial because:
- It is assurance that all Health At Every Size and HAES services/materials adhere to the basic principles.
Weight Inclusivity: Accept and respect the inherent diversity of body shapes and sizes and reject the idealizing or pathologizing of specific weights.
Health Enhancement: Support health policies that improve and equalize access to information and services, and personal practices that improve human well-being, including attention to individual physical, economic, social, spiritual, emotional, and other needs.
Respectful Care: Acknowledge our biases, and work to end weight discrimination, weight stigma, and weight bias. Provide information and services from an understanding that socio-economic status, race, gender, sexual orientation, age, and other identities impact weight stigma, and support environments that address these inequities.
Eating for Well-being: Promote flexible, individualized eating based on hunger, satiety, nutritional needs, and pleasure, rather than any externally regulated eating plan focused on weight control.
Life-Enhancing Movement: Support physical activities that allow people of all sizes, abilities, and interests to engage in enjoyable movement, to the degree that they choose.
- The strength of our trademark(s) grows with use.
- It helps protect Health At Every Size and HAES distinctiveness.
- You must use the symbol ® the first time the Health At Every Size phrase or HAES acronym is used.
- Use the trademark(s) only as an adjective (for example: Health At Every Size approach, Health At Every Size research, HAES principles, etc.), never as a noun or verb, and never use in the plural or possessive form.
- Use a generic term following the trademark(s). (See b above for examples).
- ASDAH’s Trademark Notice must be prominently displayed on all publications utilizing the trademarked term/service: “Health At Every Size and HAES are registered trademarks of the Association for Size Diversity and Health and used with permission.
- In advertising copy, notice of trademark rights may be provided in a footnote format e.g., by placing an asterisk adjacent to the Health At Every Size phrase or the HAES acronym, and placing the notice listed above in Section d at the bottom of the page on which the asterisk appears.
- Don’t display the Health At Every Size or HAES trademarks in any manner that can be reasonably interpreted to suggest editorial content has been authored by, or represents the view or opinions of ASDAH or the ASDAH Board of Directors.
- If you see what you consider might be unauthorized use of our trademark(s), or elements thereof, please alert ASDAH.
Good habits of trademark usage are a must. We must all be concerned about the maintenance of our trademark(s) as the high quality of our Health At Every Size and HAES products, services, and the name of the Association for Size Diversity and Health are reflected in our trademark(s). Thank you very much!